Friday, August 12, 2011

Auto Top-off

After topping off the water that evaporated every day, I decided that I needed a way to automate this process. I looked into many "do it yourself" ideas before I settled on coughing up the cash and getting one of the most reliable systems. I ordered the Tunze Osmolator with the Kalkwasser Dispenser. With limited space under the stand, I found a 2.5gal glass vase to house reverse-osmosis water. Instead of a float switch that (knowing my luck) will get gunked up and stop working, the Osmolator uses an optical sensor. When the water is too low, the pump forces water through the Kalkwasser Dispenser and into the tank.
Kalkwasseris "lime water" and in this case is calcium hydroxide. The hydroxide reacts with carbon dioxide to produce carbonate and bi-carbonate. The end result is increased calcium and carbonate, the building blocks for coral. The main disadvantage of this system is the pH swing during the day. When it's hotter in the day, there will be more evaporation, so this is when more Kalk would be dosed, increasing the pH. One day, I may use a calcium reactor to help stabilize these levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment